Friday, February 11, 2011

Now that we've had the directorial switch...

Now that we all have experienced the big directorial switch what do you guys think?

I would have to say, in all honesty, I'm not a fan. Not that I like one director's style over the other, because I'm learning lots with both, but I'm finding it more difficult than I thought it would be and more time consuming as well.

Because I am new to the directorial styles of Prof. Davies and Kelly it is taking me longer to get warmed up again to the point where I can feel safe exploring during rehearsal. I understand I should get over this if I intend to do more professional work (and I know I will in this instance as we work more together), but this is where I am right now. This is probably just me, but I seem to get caught up in the questions of "Am I meeting their expectations of where they think I should be?" and "How do I give both what they want and come up with a singular character?" (Granted, I'm playing Speed and the Duke, but hopefully you guys know what I mean.) This feeling is grouped with my experiences with our talented assistant directors as well. With four individuals working with us on scenes, that's 4 times the trust building we have to do in this short time we have.

Anyway, I'm not complaining, just voicing an opinion and explaining what I've learned in the experience so far.

Any thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. I too had a bit of hiccup with the switching of the directors. Again, like you said it isn't about the preference of one over the other, but trying to satisfy two masters.

    On the first day of the switch, I came in feeling like I understood the physical qualities of my character pretty well. Through rehearsal it was clear though that the directors had two different ideas of who Launce should be. In that moment, I got frustrated and lost. However, through some more work I felt a little better about the situation because I didn't have to throw ALL my previous work out the window. Now it's a matter of adapting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angelina. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has struggled with the switch. It all is a matter of adapting, which I feel, in this experience, is making me better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just curious about whether to take the work that has been done and try mash it together into a mashed potato version of Thurio or try to make the same clear character choices, red potatoes and yellow potatoes, and just let any character inconsistencies remain.

    ReplyDelete