Tuesday, February 15, 2011

To cut or not to cut that is my question

I've had to take a surprisingly new direction for Eglamour as I guess we are going with a modernized take with the play. I like how in 4.2 the mood of the play is getting darker and how in 4.3 Eglamour enforces that shift. His character, to me, is the image of how Proteus should be had his love, Julia, really died.

As part of my admiration for this character I'd like to petition to keep these lines in 5.3:

1 Outlaw: Where is the gentleman that was with her?
3 Outlaw: Being nimble-footed, he hath out run us.

I'd like the audience to know what happened to Eglamour so he's not just some random character that enters the play. In an earlier post I had a gag idea for Eglamour in 5.1, but with the new direction I think I'm going to try something more subtle. I might just need a retractable knife. I also had the idea that he'd have a map on him. As he goes to lead her off into the woods by exiting one direction he realizes that it's the wrong way, scrutinizes the map, and then heads the right direction.

As for playing the outlaws I know our group is going for preppy, country club sophisticates. If anyone has any costuming ideas for this I'd love to hear it! I'm thinking of sporting khakis, polo shirt, and an over the shoulder sweater with an embroidered skull.

1 comment:

  1. Question: Is the Sir Eglamour in Milan the same whom Julia and Lucetta spoke of in Verona?

    If so, who is his dead love? If he was morning a dead love, why court Julia?

    Just thoughts.

    ReplyDelete