Sunday, February 20, 2011

Enter Launce

Angelina's previous post talked about the bizarre final exit of Launce. While commenting on her post, I realized that this sort of disappearing exit is perfect for Launce, because he appears for the first time on stage in much the same way. He just sort of appears in his own scene, with no previous characters even mentioning his existence. I know the introduction mentions how Launce might have been a character that was written in later, and it's these sorts of appearances and disappearance that give credence to this idea.
Launce is such an isolated character. So much of what he does is alone (or alone with Crab). I'm not sure that Launce was or was not written into the script later. I'm not even sure it matters either way.

1 comment:

  1. Steph, your thoughts and concerns are accurate I would say. Launce is isolated, but I can't help but make a shameless plug to my recent post in that I think this play is horribly about isolated relationships. Too many people in this play come and go and are not clearly connected or related. Consider Antonio, Lucetta, the Host, Eglamour, who all have abrupt beginnings and ends for their stage time.

    ReplyDelete