Monday, February 14, 2011

Scanning Names

4.2 Thurio says "Who? Silvia?" In this shared line Proteus replies, "Ay, Silvia - for your sake."

In order to keep this shared line in iambic pentameter, the first Silvia scans as three syllables while the second Silvia scans as only two.

I have noticed that Thurio also can be scanned as two or three syllables to fit the meter. I wondered how many people had noticed this and if anyone else thought it was interesting.

In the case of Silvia in 4.2, I think that it could be fun to play up (slightly) the shift of eliding or not eliding the I-A in Silvia, since Proteus and Thurio seem to be having some slight tensions with one another concerning Silvia, at the top of that scene.

Other peoples choices or thought about scanning names?

1 comment:

  1. I noticed that, and I chocked it up to Proteus playing up that Turio is not too quick in the head.

    ReplyDelete