Monday, January 17, 2011

Comparable Characters

As Speed I couldn't help but watch the character through the rereading of the script this last week. I could only think of the Commedia play "The Servant of Two Masters" where Truffaldino bites off more than he can chew by serving two masters. For Truffaldino it was all about the money and not getting beaten. For Speed it seems all about the money and a display of wit. A fun comparison and maybe helpful in my character development. Anyone else find comparable characters to others from other plays?

All this makes me wonder as well, why in 1.1 Proteus has Speed (Valentine's servant) deliver his letter to Juliet and not his own servant.

2 comments:

  1. I have found a comparison to another character for me. I told this to Matt Davies yesterday, but he hadn't seen the movie so he didn't get it. Proteus is a lot like Cameron from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. He has a very tense relationship with his dad, he isn't very outgoing, and his counterpart is much more fun than him.

    As for why I used you: maybe I used you because I wanted to prolong Valentine's departure. Perhaps Proteus figures if he keeps Valentine's man busy, Valentine couldn't leave. Matt, Bobby, and I established that Proteus has known Valentine was going to leave for a while and has been trying to stop him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting... I think I settled on the questionable dependancy of your own servant, Launce.

    More to think about though... Thanks

    ReplyDelete