Thursday, January 20, 2011

Text

Dr. Menzer brought up a very good observation today in Textual Culture about the many, various forms of text that we used in our first rehearsals. I'd love to somehow get a survey of everyone by the end of the rehearsal period about how various forms of text were helpful/not helpful during the rehearsal process, which you prefered to work from/with during rehearsal or on your own time, and your own "text" habits (for example, I prefer to make my own sides and transcribe all my cues and lines onto notebook paper and then do my scanning, whereas someone else may prefer to take notes directly in the Arden.) Some "texts" to consider: the promptbooks, the Arden, photocopied scenes, manuscript sides, manuscript notes, typed notes, online published notes, prop letters, performance letters, etc. I will attempt to draft a survey and distribute it sometime during this process....Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. I think this a worthwhile project as a fellow textual cultures denizen. I find it really interesting that you, Kim, transcribe your lines to scan them. It's always great to view other approaches to learning lines and working with texts. Personally, I have all of my scansion in the Arden so that I have quick and easy access to it during rehearsals, but I do transcribe my lines into a separate document for my paraphrasing. I find that needs more space and first taking the rime to simply write each word helps me to think about the word choice itself before working on other ways to say it.
    This discussion reminds me of what Dr. Menzer also said today, and has said before, that performance produces lots of excess texts, which has always been horribly true for any production I've been involved with. I always create more text than just one script. The only problem with seeing this as true is that it only makes the issues of where Shakespeare's text came from that much more difficult.
    I hope more people respond to this, so we can all get an idea of what texts we are using.

    ReplyDelete