Sunday, January 23, 2011

Where's my Jerkin?

So working on costuming idea for Thurio. My lines call for me to wear doublet with an apparent false jerkin attached to it, or such a horrible coat that someone would assume that it has to be a coat cover. Or at least that is how I'm reading it at this point in time. I'm trying to come up with clothing styles that would let me make the text work. The funniest I've come up with is a hoodie with a puffy vest attached on top of it.... If you have other ideas let me know.

1 comment:

  1. I've also been thinking about: "My jerkin is a doublet."

    I guess I was conceiving of Valentine's lines as metaphoric because I thought that Thurio was correcting him as though Valentine didn't know the difference. I don't think of (my) Thurio as being so completely without style that he looks poorly dressed (I rather think of my Thurio as constantly overdressed... and I have the Top Hat do that), but I do think him capable of thinking Valentine unlearned in the art of dressing.

    So that I conceive of the scene as Valentine comparing Thurio's folly to a protective out garment. Then Thuro thinks that Valentine is being literal when he is not and correcting him as to the type of garment he is wearing.

    I kinda wanna wear this ridiculous coat I have that has lace in the cuff. (it would look great with my Top Hat assuming I can use that too.)

    ReplyDelete