Monday, January 24, 2011

Memorization and Props

Memorizing has always been a sore spot with me. The method I have now is to write the first letter of every sentence so that if I forget a word I look to the letter and try to recall. The problem that I've been finding is in paraphrasing I will won't to use my paraphrased word instead of the actual word. When I do speed throughs I like to be mobile, which helps since I'm an external actor. I really would like to know how you all memorize lines and which way is working for you.
I found Peter Hall's advice about comedic prose interesting. In working with contemporary prose I've been told to pull through the sentence and hit the ending. For comedy, I believe, you don't want to lose audience attention, so this would help in keeping them surprised. I think also as Peter Hall related, specificity is key for Launce's schtick. The props need to contrast heavily to what he relates.

No comments:

Post a Comment