Wednesday, March 2, 2011

In response to Jonanthan...


Here's a tidbit from Wikipedia (yay!) which I like, and it helped me see what seems to be a very possessive, unloving act in a different context:

..."All that was mine in Silvia I give to thee" (5.4.83). Many critics (such as Stanley Wells for example) interpret this to mean that Valentine is indeed handing Silvia over to her would-be rapist, but another school of thought suggests that Valentine simply means "I will love you [Proteus] with as much love as I love Silvia," thus reconciling the dichotomy of friendship and love as depicted elsewhere in the play.

Is the other cast treating the ending differently? I think it would be interesting and worthwhile to see what happens if we give each show a different ending in regard to this line.

2 comments:

  1. The Arden intro offered similar thoughts about that line. I think juxtaposing different interpretations is a great idea, so yeah, I wonder how the other cast is handling that moment...

    I honestly don't think, though, that they're at all using this cleaner, tidier interpretation, based on some things Maria has said about her experience so far rehearsing 5.4. I could be wrong, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that I'm looking at it more in that light. I think we're allowing Proteus' position to be slightly more ambiguous, but I'm trying for Valentine to just make the two great loves of his life get along. Not a great way to do it.

    ReplyDelete